The Margi Hotel Review enclosed here aims to assist you in making your decisions if you are considering reserving a room at the Margi Hotel during your visit to Athens.
The Margi Hotel
The Margi Hotel is an Athens institution. It sits in the upscale coastal town of Vouliagmeni – an area in the Athenian Riviera that is commonly referred to as “The Hellenic Hamptons”. This town, along with neighbouring Voula, Vari, and Gylfada, are among the most exclusive districts in all of Greece. The likes of Frank Sinatra, Brigette Bardot, and Sofia Loren are the caliber of guests who have vacationed in this district over the past few decades.
Up until the late ’50s and early ’60s, the Athenian Riviera was nothing more than a pristine sprawl of coastline running from Athens to Cape Sounion. It was the Margi Founder Dr. Yiangos Stavridis, along with a handful of other local Entrepreneurs who envisaged the concept of the “Hellenic Hamptons” and thus created Greece’s very own Cote d’Azur.
Today, The Margi Hotel is renowned across Greece for its reputation of being one of the most elegant hotels in the country. Internationally, the hotel has been recognised as one of the best luxury boutique hotels in the world.
The Margi exudes an air of effortless, old-fashioned elegance that is hard to come by today. The property was renovated in recent years in conjunction with the hotel’s Co-Owner: Greek Architect Giagkos Agiostratitis.
The neutral, beige and light brown colour palette extends throughout both the private rooms and the communal areas of the hotel. Envisage antique furnishings sourced from throughout Greece, handwoven carpets with eclectic designs that sit atop polished wooden floors, and an outdoor pool and courtyard decorated with climbing vines, olive trees, and bougainvillea flowers.
The place where you lay your head at the end of each day can really have an impact on your travel experience. Opting to stay at a luxury hotel like the Margi really puts the icing on the cake on a wonderful trip to Southern Greece. Some of the highlights of the Margi Hotel are:
- Exemplary service – You are treated like royalty from the moment you arrive on-site at The Margi, until the moment you check out.
- Location, Location, Location – The Margi sits in the heart of Vouliagmeni’s most sophisticated beachfront community. Chic Astir beach is just 400 meters away from the hotel, and within a few minutes of walking, you are met with beautiful coastal walkways, jagged cliffs, and hidden beaches (“Limanakia”).
- World-Class Dining – The Malabar restaurant at the Margi boasts an inspiring Mediterranean menu that changes with the seasons. The operation is headed up by Panagiotis Giakalis – one of the most well-regarded Chefs in Greece.
- The Pool – The Margi Pool is the place to see and be seen during the summer months in Southern Greece. Cool down in the water or enjoy innovative fruity cocktails and light snacks beneath the cabanas surrounding the pool.
Rooms at The Margi
The Margi is an 89-room hotel that has been decorated in colonial style. All the rooms on site are very spacious and boast private terraces with sweeping views. Rooms are decorated with a delicate beige colour palette, with a combination of plush furnishings and unique antiques.
Room highlights at The Margi include:
- Toiletries – All bathrooms are filled with a plentiful supply of fragrant toiletries from Greek homeopathy brand Korres. Snuggly white slippers and fluffy bathrobes are also provided for your comfort.
- Welcome Gift – Complimentary bottles of water, tasty Greek chocolates, adorable containers of nuts, and bath salts from the luxurious Margi Spa greet you on arrival at the hotel.
- Spacious Accommodation – With superior rooms starting from 22 square meters, rooms at The Margi hotel are larger than most in the Athenian Riviera.
- Views – At the end of a long day’s sightseeing, snuggle up on the plush outdoor seating on your private veranda and gaze across the Vouliagmeni coastline.
There are rooms to suit every taste at The Margi. Superior rooms often plenty of comfort and space for the everyday traveller, while the Margi suites offer an even more decadent experience.
For the ultimate accommodation experience, there’s the Margi Villa – a contemporary holiday home that sits just 1km away from the hotel premises and boasts a jacuzzi, an outdoor BBQ, and complimentary butler services.
Restaurants & Dining Facilities
From dusk to dawn, there are plenty of wonderful dining options available at the Margi. The hotel is a perfect place for travelling gourmands.
- Generous Breakfast – A generous American-style breakfast is served in the Nilaya restaurant between 7.00 and 11.00 am. Guests can find international favourites at the buffet, alongside Greek treats such as spanakopita and fresh yogurt.
- Fresh, Locally Sourced Ingredients – The restaurants on-site at The Margi hotel make use of fresh fruits and vegetables that are sourced from the property’s very own Margi farm.
- Innovative Mediterranean Cuisine – The Malabar Restaurant at The Margi Hotel places a modern twist on classic Greek recipes. Sit beneath the grand Venetian chandeliers and sample flavourful Mediterranean dishes such as the Pappardelle pasta with braised pork and “mizithra” cheese cream, or the Stonebaked youvetsi with lamb and ”Graviera” cheese from Naxos.
- Pool Bar – Snacks and light bites such as sandwiches and salads are served at The Margi pool bar until 11 pm.
Spa & Wellness Facilities
Those wishing to treat themselves to a little R&R can opt to indulge in one of the treatment packages available at The Margi Spa. Spa treatments at the Margi are inspired by ancient Greek practices and utilise natural ingredients from the property’s farm.
Start off in the Margi spa’s steam room and sauna, then treat yourself to a massage and facial catered to your preference and skin type. The Margi also has a comprehensive fitness facility on the site, including an indoor pool. Just like every other inch of the premises, the spa and fitness area off the ultimate luxury experience.
Reaching The Margi Hotel
The Margi Hotel lies 19 km from Athens, and 23 km away from Athens International Airport respectively. When taking independent taxis in Greece, it is recommended to download and use the Taxi BEAT app on your phone so as to secure the best rates. A cab from downtown Athens to The Margi will cost approximately €17-20 each way.
From Athens Eleftherios Venizelos airport to Vouliagmeni, it is possible to organise transfers that start from €40. The Margi also offer their own private transfers if you wish to arrive in style.
To reach the hotel via public transport, take the X96 bus from Athens airport or centre and disembark at Glyfada square. From there, take the 117 bus to Vouliagmeni.
Rooms at The Margi hotel start at €250 per night. Specific rates vary depending on the season (click here to browse the latest room rates and availability). The hotel also offers special packages from time to time – such as weekend getaways that include dinners and spa treatments.
The Margi Hotel 11 Litous Street, Vouliagmeni 16671, Athens Riviera, Greece
+30 210 8929128 for reservations
Have any further questions about this Margi Hotel review, or visiting the Athenian Riviera in general? I’ve been living in the Greek capital for the last three years and I’m happy to assist you with any queries you may have. Safe travels. Yiassou! Melissa xo
Disclaimer: High Heels and a Backpack was a guest of The Margi Hotel. That said, all views and opinions contained here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links. If you choose to make a booking through links on this site, I may obtain a small commission which is charged at no additional cost to you.